Troubleshooting Facebook Not Showing The Correct Image When Sharing A Post
Have you ever experienced the problem where Facebook isn’t showing the correct image when you share a blog post? It can be extremely frustrating when that happens. Having the wrong image show up can have an effect on whether someone decides to click the link and read your post so it’s important that Facebook shares show the image that you intend for it to. Here's some tips on troubleshooting why your Facebook isn't showing the correct image when you share a post. #facebooksharing #blogging #troubleshooting Click To Tweet
It can be difficult to track down the reason because there are a lot of factors that contribute to the shared image including caching. The good news is, I’ve got some troubleshooting tips for you to go through.
How is the image chosen in the first place?
Facebook looks for an Open Graph meta tag that declares which image should be shared with your post. If you have a plugin such as Yoast SEO you can select the specific image you want to be shared, otherwise it will pull from your default image (such as your blog post “Featured Image.”
If there is nothing specified Facebook with pick an image from the page.
What Does An Open Graph Image Meta Tag Look Like?
Open Graph Image Meta Tag-
In you HTML source code, it will say “og:image” and the declaration will show as
<meta property= “og:image” content=https://www.example-site.com/wp-content/2017/02/example.png/>
Is that correct? Here are some additional options to continue troubleshooting if your Open Graph image meta tag is set.
- Check Caching– If you have a caching plugin you want to clear your site’s cache after you ‘ve made any changes to your Open Graph data. You also want to do this before proceeding with additional troubleshooting steps.
- Try Facebook Share Debugger– Facebook has a Sharing Debugger . You’ll enter your URL and it will show you the last time your site’s URL was read by Facebook, the Open Graph image, and the Open Graph Image description. It will also show you a preview of what your share will look like on Facebook.
- Information out of date or incorrect on Facebook Debugger? Select “Scrape Again” so that Facebook will go to your site and fetch the most current version of your post. Once this is complete, the updated information should show.
- Scrape Again didn’t work?– As crazy as it sounds, try it again. For some reason, it won’t always work on the first time.
- Debugger shows the correct image– In this case, you want to test a Facebook share from your site. Go to your site’s post and select the share option for Facebook. You may want to set the privacy to “only me” while you are testing it out. This way when you look at your Facebook it will only show to you and if it’s correct you can change the privacy setting.
Going through these troubleshooting steps should allow you to fix the issue of an incorrect image showing up on your Facebook share.
Have you ever come across this issue?
Other Great Post To Check Out
Want to work on Setting Goals and Reaching Them for the new year!